About DanseFestival Barents
DanseFestival Barents is the worlds northernmost dance festival, presenting performances of high national and international quality at 70 degrees north. We have a focus on representing the region by presenting art and culture from the Barents Region. The festival aims to present work that is culturally relevant, and which represents the regions diverse indigenous and linguistic populations.
The main aims of the festival are to:
• Be a vibrant meeting place through network building, for dance artists working in the Barents Region
• Collaborate beyond geographical, linguistic and cultural borders
• Present culturally specific performances from the Barents Region
• Contribute to knowledge sharing through courses, seminars and workshop
• Present and produce innovative projects aimed at children and young people
DanseFestival Barents was initiated by Solveig Leinan-Hermo/Stellaris DansTeater in Hammerfest, as a response to a need to create a vibrant meeting place for dance artists living and working in the Barents region. It was held for the first time in 2003. The artistic and administrative activity of DanceFestival Barents was originally run as a project under Stellaris DansTeater with Solveig Leinan-Hermo as the first Festival Director. In 2008 the festival was established as a separate company, owned by Stellaris DansTeater, and the festival finally worked with a year round operation.
Previous Artistic Directors:
Solveig Leinan-Hermo 2003 - 2009
Kristine Storsve 2009 - 2012
Jørgen Knudsen 2012 - 2015
Marie Hermo Jensen 2016 – 2018
Current Artistic Director: Siri Wigdel 2018 onwards